Slips and Trips

Statistics show that the majority (60 percent) of falls happen on the same level resulting from slips and trips. The remaining 40 percent are falls from a height. This article will summarize information on “falls on the same level” (slips and trips). Falls from an elevation, such as falls from ladders, roofs, down stairs or from jumping to a lower level, etc., will be discussed in another document since each type of fall requires different features in a fall prevention program.


Slips happen where there is too little friction or traction between the footwear and the walking surface. Common causes of slips are:
• Wet or oily surfaces
• Occasional spills
• Weather hazards
• Loose, unanchored rugs or mats, and flooring
• Other walking surfaces that do not have same degree of traction in all areas


Trips happen when your foot collides (strikes, hits) an object causing you to lose your balance and, eventually fall. Common causes of tripping are:
• Obstructed view
• Poor lighting
• Clutter in your way
• Wrinkled carpeting
• Uncovered cables
• Bottom drawers not being closed
• Uneven (steps, thresholds) walking surfaces


In 2020, 805 workers died from falls.1 
211,640 suffered severe injuries requiring days away from work in the private industry.2
In the United States, workers’ compensation and medical expenses associated with workplace falls are estimated to cost $70 billion annually.3

A ProgressiveHealth Prevention Specialist is a health care professional who has the expertise to support and promote a safer approach to work.  They are cross-trained to provide a variety of comprehensive preventive solutions including job assessments, ergonomic analyses, functional testing, work conditioning, and more. For more information, contact ProgressiveHealth at